link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

As a gay man living in Poland, he found himself increasingly under attack by a government that had sought to depict the LGBTQ+ community as a threat to the nation and its children, fuelling prejudices and hate crimes across the country.

The possibility has ignited hopes among weary campaigners and human rights defenders who have for years been forced to set aside the push for progress and instead reckon with the government’s demonisation of LGBTQ+ people, migrants and refugees.

In 2020, Staszewski was singled out by the government for having “falsified reality”, to use the words of the prime minister, Mateusz Morawiecki, after the activist’s protests against the dozens of municipalities in Poland that had declared themselves to be free of “LGBT ideology” went viral.

Now his focus has turned to harnessing this energy to convince the new government to protect the LGBTQ+ community by adding sexual orientation and gender expression to the country’s hate crime legislation.

Tusk, a former prime minister and European Council president at the helm of a centre-right party, hit back with a similar tone, stoking fears about Muslim migration as he sought to woo voters.

Since 2021, the situation on the border has been dire as thousands of asylum seekers from Syria, Afghanistan and other countries have found themselves trapped in one of Europe’s last primeval forests, with no food or shelter to protect them when temperatures begin to plunge.

The original article contains 961 words, the summary contains 235 words. Saved 76%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• Infiltrated_ad8271@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

The text talks about the 8 years of fear felt by a gay man, hopeful activists, government opposition to the lgbt movement, etc, but nothing about acts. Can anyone expand a bit on new laws or attempts to take away rights?