Microsoft is removing Maps and Movies & TV from Windows 11::Microsoft today announced the release of Windows 11 Insider Preview build 25987 to the Canary channel. Starting with this build, Microsoft will no longer

• JordanZ@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Sadly they only removed them from fresh installs not updates. The apps are still available in the store for anyone that wants them as well.

I’d love less crap preinstalled on windows. First thing I do is run a powershell script to basically uninstall all the store apps (even ones you can’t normally uninstall using the add/remove UI). Love to see the Xbox stuff gone. Removing it and having it not throw errors on game launches was a bit of a pain.

It’s just so much junk…

• JordanZ@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I usually search it. This has many good options just scroll down to the powershell section. You can drop the name argument from the delete a specific app command and it will just dump the entire list of apps into the remove command.

• N3Cr0@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Nice! It they start getting rid of all the other clutter / bloatware, I may change my mind and I will keep one Windows installation.

• lmaydev@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I haven’t seen those.

Can you turn them off? If so I likely did that already lol

Edit: just googled it you can turn them off. I must have done it as soon as I got 11. Still a PITA

• shalafi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

That’s a few less lines in my Windows install PowerShell script.

Get-AppxPackage zunevideo | Remove-AppxPackage | Out-Null

And now some Linux users will unironically state that they don’t have to run any scripts on a fresh install…