• Khanzarate@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

DC 20 isn’t even hard considering the effect it’s supposed to have.

Level 7 rogue that just got Evasion has a +3 proficiency and could have 20 dex, so succeeds for ZERO damage on a 12, and never takes full.

I think the scroll should’ve split between Force and Fire damage. Make the Force damage a CON save for half, because you can’t avoid it, only tank it, and make the fire the dex save.

Then rogues still get to use Evasion, but it’s not “I anime dodge the comet”.

• darq@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Eh. If the wizard can conjure it, the rogue should be able to dodge it.

I know it makes my GM twitch whenever my rogue or monk would dodge an explosion. But we have to disillusion ourselves of the ridiculous notion that martial characters have to obey the laws of physics.

• nxdefiant@startrek.website
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

as a DM I tell my players I reserve the right to describe their actions in the event they pull some ridiculous shit like this off, usually they ask me to because more often than not they’re equally surprised.

• ferret@ttrpg.network
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

But we have to disillusion ourselves of the ridiculous notion that martial characters have to obey the laws of physics.

With the amount of damage that martial characters can tank or dish out, I think the only explanation is that martials use magic as well, just not the conscious brainy kind. There must be some subconscious muscle magic going on that bends reality in a more subtle and localised way.

• darq@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

No topic has ever gotten me into more D&D arguments than saying that a 10th level fighter should be able to fall off an airship, hit the ground and not immediately splat, but rather limp away from it after tanking the 20d6 damage.

I want a squad of Dwarven Fighters to be able to leap off of the same airship and do a three-point landing, because what the hell would Dwarves need parachutes for?!

• SheDiceToday@eslemmy.es
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

You have to see the sky comet to manipulate the comet, isn’t that right? You can’t just have wizards willy-nilly affecting matter that they can’t perceive!

• Kichae@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

And don’t even think about using windows! The devil’s doorways, they are

• SavvyWolf@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

The description says it hits the ground, so all you have to do is jump at the exact right time.

• DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

You can’t dodge all the damage with most builds, but the damage is actually spread out over a short duration and you can use the i-frames in dodge to negate some of it.

• doctorcrimson@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

It clearly states you still take damage if you pass, an almost certainly fatal amount. Basically your character hides in a fridge or something like Indiana Jones.

• I Cast Fist@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Don’t forget that rogues get that perk (level 10 I think?) where they always get half damage whenever it calls for a DEX save and zero damage if they succeed

• ArbitraryValue@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

It’s like jumping out of a car at highway speeds vs. jumping out of a car at highway speeds, tucking, and rolling. Either way, you’ll be seriously hurt or killed, but one way is a little more likely to seriously hurt you and a little less likely to kill you than the other.

• flying_sheep@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Also it’s a world where one bardy boi singing real good has significant real life effects.

Why shouldn’t someone be so good at dodging that they can evade half of the damage an explosion does?

• Remmock@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Duh. You jump into the air and ride the air currents to safety. Everyone knows comets crashing creates waves of wind due to the displacement.