This is a cool little article about why the Pacific Northwest of the US has limited amusement parks and how it’s not just because of the weather.

• randomtask@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

It really just seems to be demographics, doesn’t it? Fewer families with young children, and a culture that emphasizes authenticity over cultivated themed experiences.

• Bob K Mertz@lemm.eeOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s funny how enthusiast groups always say poor PNW but fail to realize how culture is sometimes different. That’s not to say there aren’t a lot of people there that would love a big park with a dozen coasters but it’s all relative.

One of the biggest problems the area faces is an in-between park probably couldn’t survive. They either need to be small to function or they need to be a massive destination park to draw people in. Just take KD for example… The park has it’s locals but it also sits on I-95 which can bring people from distances because they have something worth traveling for – and you unfortunately can’t build a KD sized park, let alone a Disney or Universal overnight.

• stooth64@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I want to visit the PNW someday and go to Silverwood to finally ride a giant inverted boomerang. The national parks in Washington will keep me busy out there too.

• Bob K Mertz@lemm.eeOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I finally made it to SFNE last year but it was unfortunately too late to ride theirs.

• stooth64@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I still gotta get out there at some point too. Too many coasters everywhere 😅

Aftershock is especially interesting to me because it’s the one that was relocated from my home park, Six Flags Great America. I was never tall enough to ride it while it operated there (or maybe it was plagued with maintenance problems by the time I was).

• Bob K Mertz@lemm.eeOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I honestly considered a career change to be a long haul truck driver just so I could end up in places closer to roller coasters that I want to ride 😉

• Sea_pop@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I hate it. I live in Seattle and I have to fly across the country to ride any notable coasters.