• mokpo@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Weird. I’m surprised that this is working at all. I thought there would be no points to instance on after creating the first instance. The simulation zone isn’t the culprit here though. The same happens here if i simply chain a few (7) instance on points nodes after another. I have to investigate this further. You can fix it by adding a realize instances node after the simulation. Be careful though. this gets ugly quickly :) And use radians if you pipe a vector into the rotation socket. -pi to pi should give you the 360° you are aiming for.

• mokpo@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Ok, I got it. What you are doing is called nested instancing (instancing on an instance) https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/geometry_nodes/instances.html#geometry-nodes-nested-instancing the page states:

Warning Only eight levels of nested instancing are supported for rendering and the viewport currently. Though deeper trees of instances can be made inside geometry nodes, they must be realized at the end of the node tree.

• yourgodlucifer@kbin.socialOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

do you have any idea why this just makes the line go up It seems to be deleting the old geometry each frame for some reason

• mokpo@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s just how instancing works in blender. You put a geometry in the top socket and the geometry in the lower socket will be instanced on each of this geo’s points. For instance (hehe) if you had piped in a cube instead of a single point, you’d have 4 lines on each of its verts but the cube would disappear. To get them both to show you’d have to draw another noodle from the instancer object and add it to the instance on points node with a join geometry node afterwards.