• OopsOverbombing@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

That’d be an interesting study… but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if the hoarding monkey would simply get killed by the rest of the tribe.

• fiat_lux@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

“When humans are nice to each other we are probably nicer and more altruistic than any primate. When we’re nasty to each other, we are worse than any primate.” - Frans de Waal

De Waal is a primatologist and the Charles Howard Candler Professor of Primate Behavior in the Department of Psychology at Emory University.

Unfortunately the field of primate cognition is pretty new, partly because humans like to pretend we’re special. I’ve been looking more into his work recently to better understand human morality and how we define it.

I very strongly recommend his Ted talk from 2012 on Moral Behaviour in Animals if anyone is interested in learning more. 16min 33sec

• EcchiSukecchi@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

But the monkeys aren’t just hoarding the bananas. They are trading bananas for trees then making other monkeys pay them bananas to live in, use, and eat the fruit of the trees. Then using those bananas to buy more trees.

• 7_Heavens@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s really stupid to think that. If one worked hard to make more money, why should he/she donate to other people? It’s their money and they can do what they want. It’s just other people are working not same amount of hours richer people are working and cry about not having money

• Wooly@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You sound like a bot, but incase you’re a real person.

Do you really believe billionaires earned their fortune from hardwork? Elon Musk spends his whole day on twitter shit posting. They’re just nepobabies with money already. It’s easy to turn lots of money into more money.

Billionaires do like 2 hours of work a week, a janitor works harder than them, they’re just compensated very differently. There is no world where a billionaire worked hard enough to deserve to steal from everyone underneath them.

• Alperto@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

while I agree with you with the point, I don’t totally do:

Yes, most of rich people come from rich families (there’re actually studies showing how much easier it is for the relatives of wealthy people to become wealthy too than to normal people).

No, not all the rich people work two 2 hours a day. Specially self made ones, work most of their time (workaholics) but not hard in a physical way, but on a mental way (meetings, discussions, numbers, etc).

I’m not defending them, I’m just trying to be more realistic. And actually I agree with this OP and with your point that they don’t deserve that much. They may deserve to earn more than the others as he/she is the potential founder and responsible for the company success (I’m thinking more about the self made rich example), but the differences in salaries shouldn’t be that HUGE between the CEO and the janitors.

Norway is a country where salary differences is less huge than in other countries, and rich people really pay more taxes than low income people. That’s why people doing not really skilled jobs can afford iphones, teslas and traveling abroad every summer. And that’s the kind of goal we all should ask for.

• EcchiSukecchi@lemmy.fmhy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

There’s a difference between “rich” and “wealthy”; the wealthy hope you never recognize that and that you continue to think wealth is the same as simply rich. Just being “rich” one might have legitimately worked their and off to get there; wealth is generational. Wealthy had a “rich” relative who initiated the means to further invest and work less.

• dfc09@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Regardless of how many hours a billionaire works, their labor is not worth the millions they make. That money comes from the surplus of value all their employees are making by actually working.

• 7_Heavens@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

You can’t just accept the fact that musk is richer and better than you and you hate him.

But you do know that Elon Musk was founder of PayPal, right? He sold that and then started his business. Know about someone before you talks shit. Btw I don’t like Elon incase you think I am his supportter or something.

No, I don’t believe that billionaire worked hard for their money.

How do you tell someone is stealing money underneath them? Oh like if you are the kind of guy who thinks that if robinhood stole money and gave others then if others make money using their employees then it’s bad thing. You have just stupid mentality.

I also know that most guys have inherited from their family. But doesn’t change the fact that your ancestors didn’t make any money to your generation.

• Wooly@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah I knew that. Funded by his father’s emerald mine money no doubt. And pretty sure he just bought in, not founded. Something about a PayPal merger with x.com (Elon Musk). Musk isn’t clever, he doesn’t know how to code, he doesn’t have any real skills. He’s never done anything at spaceX, you think he’s designing rockets or some shit? No. He’s making actually smart people do it for him.

The fact is, you can’t become a billionaire without exploiting your workers. And these ancestors that created money did so in exploitive ways too, slaves, colonising, EMERALD MINES, etc.

Genuinely, show me a good billionaires who earned their money and I’ll show you 100 who inherited slave money or exploited their workers.

• Xeelee@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s a verifiable fact that most rich people are rich because they inherited their wealth. And telling people who have to work multiple jobs just to survive that rich people deserve being rich because they work so hard is just cynical.

• treefrog@lemm.ee
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

You say people get rich by working hard. I say people get rich by exploiting resources including the labor of the working class.

We are not the same.

• winterayars@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve seen a lot of hard workers who are poor as fuck. I personally know some rich people where I couldn’t tell you what they do. Meanwhile there’s no way you’re convincing me people like Elon Musk work 1,000,000x harder than i do. I slack off when i can but there just aren’t enough hours in the day.

Your explanation about the state of the world doesn’t match reality.

How the hell would some monkey get a billion bananas anyway?

• treefrog@lemm.ee
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

he could start by having his daddy monkey own a banana farm and having all the dark skinned monkeys work there for just banana leaves.

or substitute banana farm for emerald mine and you get the picture

• SeatBeeSate@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s not so much about earning more, it’s burning the bridges and salting the earth, rigging and controlling the system so you’re the only one on top.

• McJonalds@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

are you denying the existence of hardworking poor people or are you saying that everyone is already getting their due pay?

• Axe_Oh_Lot_Tell@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s not about working harder to make more money. Someone can only get as much money as these billionaires by exploiting the working class.