In words that suggested the UK could place yet more emphasis on technologies to capture and store carbon, Graham Stuart said fossil fuel production was not driving climate change, but demand for fossil fuels was.

His statements were a bullish defence of the government’s much-criticised stance.

“I don’t think supply is the key driver – it is demand we need to focus on,” said Stuart, who will attend the Cop28 UN climate summit that begins later this month, where the future of oil and gas production will be under scrutiny.

• BitPirate@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that’s what gets you.

• tryptaminev 🇵🇸 🇺🇦 🇪🇺@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

“I don’t think supply is the key driver – it is demand we need to focus on,” said Stuart

Thanks god these are entirely unrelated to each other and there is no interest for businesses who provide the supply, to stimulate the demand. I am happy we are led by such wise people…

• Sigmatics@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

In one of his first interviews in his new position with the BBC, Stuart commented that Oil and Gas Exploration in the North Sea would be “good for the environment”.

In 2023, reports emerged that Stuart had received £10,000 donation towards his campaign from energy company JR Rix & Sons based out of Hull

From Wikipedia

Rix Petroleum Ltd is the largest subsidiary of J.R. Rix & Sons Ltd

I have no idea why someone would appoint this guy net zero minister

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

“I don’t think supply is the key driver – it is demand we need to focus on,” said Stuart, who will attend the Cop28 UN climate summit that begins later this month, where the future of oil and gas production will be under scrutiny.

Earlier this week, in the king’s speech, the government set out plans for new oil and gas licensing in the North Sea, which opposition parties and green campaigners said ran contrary to the UK’s climate goals.

Stuart said the UK had “no problems” on climate policy and was leading the world, in response to questioning from parliament’s environmental audit committee on Wednesday.

A group of more than 80 countries, including the UK, called for the phaseout of fossil fuels at the Cop27 UN climate summit in Egypt last year, and are expected to make the same demand at Cop28 in Dubai.

“To put the blame on demand from consumers, who have been left unsupported by this government, is a new low for a Conservative party who are hell-bent on attempting to weaponise climate action to sow division.”

Robbie MacPherson, political lead at the campaigning group Uplift, said the government was not a world leader on the climate while it was pursuing the expansion of fossil fuels.

The original article contains 617 words, the summary contains 210 words. Saved 66%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• Seasoned_Greetings@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Ah yes, the all knowledgeable denying that one form of pollution even matters. Amazing how you can be condescending without even having someone else to argue with.

I believe that this is a form of whataboutism? As in, what about the heavy metals? So lesser pollution doesn’t matter