• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Sophie Boehm, research associate at the World Resources Institute and lead author of the report, said: “Global efforts to limit warming to 1.5C are lacklustre at best.

Public funding of fossil fuels continues, despite countries’ commitments made two years ago in Glasgow at Cop26, to limit global heating to 1.5C above preindustrial levels.

Many countries are also still expanding their fossil fuel production: for instance, in the UK, the government last week announced new annual licensing rounds for exploration projects in the North Sea.

After Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in early 2022, government financing for fossil fuels increased sharply: subsidies almost doubled from 2020 rates, to reach the highest levels seen in nearly a decade, according to the report.

But that is the only measure of the 42 indicators studied that was found to be progressing at the rate needed to cut emissions by nearly half this decade compared with 1990 levels, which is required to give the world a chance of staying within the 1.5C limit.

Razan Al Mubarak, the UN high level champion on climate change, and part of the United Arab Emirates team that will host the Cop28 summit in Dubai later this month, called on all countries to re-examine their policies.

The original article contains 583 words, the summary contains 205 words. Saved 65%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!