• Ibaudia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t understand how you can say “you have to have a kid even if you can’t support it” when it comes to abortion and then say “I don’t want my taxes to help pay for your kid’s food” when it comes to food assistance. The consequence is obviously going to be food insecurity for kids, why would you not want your tax money to help fix that? 8.4% of US kids are food insecure.

• whoami@lemmy.world
      cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Evergreen George Carlin quote: “Boy, these conservatives are really something, aren’t they? They’re all in favor of the unborn. They will do anything for the unborn. But once you’re born, you’re on your own. Pro-life conservatives are obsessed with the fetus from conception to nine months. After that, they don’t want to know about you. They don’t want to hear from you. No nothing. No neonatal care, no day care, no head start, no school lunch, no food stamps, no welfare, no nothing. If you’re preborn, you’re fine; if you’re preschool, you’re fucked.”

• Kingofthezyx@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Well, it makes perfect sense when you realize these people view kids as nothing more than instruments of economic growth - forcing parents to work in conditions they don’t want to, to make ends meet. And nowadays, even lowering working age and working conditions for the kids themselves to force them to work as well. They are purely pro-capitalism and they want the kids to be forced to be born so there will be a steady supply of meat for the grinder. It’s that simple.

• Ibaudia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Maybe that’s what corpos want, but I think the average american Republican is just so braindead hyper-individualistic that they don’t quite grasp the consequences of their own philosophy. Seems like it’s just “take care of yourself, I don’t want to have to hear about you”, full stop with 0 consideration for what that actually means.

• UpperBroccoli@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

You give them far too little credit. Most of these people are not stupid, just often massively confused about what they can allow themselves to say out loud in public without hurting their (re)election chances. They know full well what they are doing, and for whom.

They are fucking evil misantropic fascist shitbags.

• Kingofthezyx@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I suppose I could have clarified by differentiating between “Republican leaders” and “Republican followers” - the latter group being largely irrelevant to discussion because they’ll believe and regurgitate whatever the first group tells them to. So by “they” in this case, I mean billionaires, politicians, and “influencers” of those philosophies

• Shush@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The issue is that you’re looking at it from a common sense view. They don’t share it. They just decided this is what they believe in, and will oppose anything else. It doesn’t have to make sense for them.

• Ibaudia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah the reactionaries are definitely a big component of the problem here. Opposing progress in all its forms even if it’s oxymorinic to do so.

• Kes@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

“I ignore infant mortality rates in the poorest states” “wow someone who shares my views”

• TheSporkBomber@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

John Fugelsang is a pretty well known comedian / actor / podcaster and is definitely liberal. He’s been critical like this of republicans for as long as I remember.

• Neato@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Why would Emily Miller post this? Only thing I can think of is that she’s communicating to her base and warning them it’s satire because she’s unsure they (and herself, apparently) are smart enough to realize their stances are comically evil.

• regeya@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I like the part where she admits she doesn’t give a shit about infant mortality rates in poor areas

It was never about the sanctity of life for most of them.

• Jannis@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Illegal immigrants literally keep food on your table, because they are the majority of farm workers.

• ParsnipWitch@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

It would be so amazing if someone like that suddenly would turn around and realise they’ve had harmful or stupid believes and change them. But I’ve never seen that happening. At most they switch from one extreme viewpoint to another. But it always has to hurt people.

• Uriel-238@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I was kicked out of r/selfawarewolves (but not r/leopardsatemyface) and hope there are Lemmy equivalents or similar communities I can find. That was good day to day copium.