• Kyle@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Speaking of Pavlov, this exact tightening of a leash can lead to leash reactivity in a dog.

Leashes are a form of confinement for a dog, and without proper counter condition they can associate pulling or tightening a leash with negative feelings and can then apply those negative feelings to what they are seeing when pulling.

For example, you’re walking your dog on a leash and your dog sees another dog and wants to be with them therefore pulls. Pulling feels restrictive and eventually starts feeling bad when it sees other dogs while on the leash. These negative feelings can turn into aggression.

The way to avoid this is to find a high value thing that can be used to redirect the dogs attention in these situations. Usually treats. When you have training time try other exercises like pattern games: place a high value treat 20 meters away, walk with the dog on the leash towards the item they want. If they pull say “oopsie” in a happy tone and walk back to the start. They only get the treat if they walk by your side all the way to the object. The dog will quickly learn the pattern and will get a great reward for following the pattern. With enough training and exposure to new distractions with positive reinforcement they will be able to walk by your side no problem. Only do this exercise if you’re able to do it without stressing yourself or the dog. Also, don’t take internet advice, it’s best to get a trainer. Look for force free group training if your on a tight budget!

• Final Remix@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Great tips all around.

Really the most difficult part is getting buy-in from people who say “well I’ve had dogs all my life, and doing it by force has always worked…”

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I once heard some lady claim in a room fool of people that her dog reacted aggressively towards all black people but had no issue with anyone else. The dog trainer then basically said that the dog just reacts to the owners actions, even if there’s very little movement the dog understands that someone caused negative feelings on you.

She didn’t speak again.

• PeleSpirit@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I kind of think this is a positive thing in the end, most people don’t know when they’re starting down a habit path of shittyness. I would love a cue.

• Aggravationstation@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Not the same thing but this reminded me of a family story I just have to share.

My Grandparents split up before I was born and my Grandad had another partner. One time when my Dad and I were eating at their house and his partner was in the kitchen, my Grandad whistled for her like a dog and she came into the dining room.

Me and my Dad just looked at each other astounded and still often talk about the sheer levels of sexism that man displayed. He once said it would be great if there was something like a library where you could exchange women when you got bored of them. I think I was about 15 when he said that to me.