For the longest time I was wondering what this icon is about. It seems kind of redundant because posts that I read before are already greyed out. Does the icon serve another purpose because I feel like it clutters the interface. Could we get rid of it?

• uhauljoe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Personally I don’t like it because 1, it’s redundant when the post is already greyed out, and 2, it draws MORE attention to read posts.

Your eyes are naturally drawn there because it’s brighter and looks like a notification, then you realize the post is grey.

Without it, it’s simpler. Read posts are dim, unread posts are bright.

Right now, its unread posts are bright and read posts are dim with a bright icon. Everything has something bright so nothing looks different.

Kinda high so I hope I explained that without sounding stupid

• plz1@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Seconded, the text already greys on read/vote, so this is redundant. Alternative option, move it to the right side of the text so it doesn’t push content over.

• Bagel@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Redundant and the worst is that it’s eye catching to mark something that is essentially less important than other rows.

• oatmilkmaid@possumpat.io
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I guess it does look a bit cramped in compact mode. I personally love it otherwise because it shows up all by its lonesome on the top right corner.

Maybe an option to disable it or not have it in compact mode since stuff is already greyed out and easier to see as read when compact?

• Sean@lemmy.mlM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Text should not be greyed out in the next build i believe. Though i can’t remember if i changed that or just thought about changing it. Our thought with the icon being accented like that is so you can quickly glance at it and see it and be like “oh i read this already”.

Edit: no i must’ve forgotten to change the greying out. Prob will do that today.

• dsm@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Please don’t remove the greyed out text… at least give us the option to toggle it on or off…

• fsw@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I don’t think it’s useful to put an eyecatcher to a post you already read, which this icon is. I prefer that they fade to the background because they’re less important.

• Sean@lemmy.mlM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Well you can always hide read posts too if you don’t want to see them

• Youthless@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Maybe I’m missing some setting, but my read posts do not gray out. The only indication that a post is read is the book icon. I like it!

I turned off the hide read posts in feed option because the button was constantly blinking on and off and I can just hide posts with a refresh.

Edit: I think it only grays out in compact mode. Maybe it should have an option to remove the book in compact mode.

• scarabic@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Or turn it into a “mark this post read” function?

Just labeling the things I’ve read before isn’t that helpful. But I’d love to have a button for “don’t show me this again.”

• Efwis@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

That is actually a default thing on lemmy itself. Don’t know if gdk can remove/block it from showing but I agree it is kind of redundant