• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

In a bid to counter opposition, Chancellor Jeremy Hunt is expected to announce that households living close to new pylons and electricity substations could get up to £1,000 a year off their energy bills.

Back in 2008, US-based architects Choi + Shine came up with the idea of making pylons that look like huge human sculptures - a project entitled Land of Giants.

The planning application attracted some complaints, with one local arguing the structure looked “utterly ridiculous” and another saying it would be “inconceivable that this will blend in”.

Local residents have compared the new structures to, among other things, Pat Butcher from EastEnders’ earrings, MC Hammer and a contraceptive coil.

The National Grid says it received more than 11,000 pieces of feedback about the pylons and most people expressed a preference for T-pylons over the lattice versions.

Kevin Mosedale - founder of the slightly tongue-in-cheek Pylon of the Month blog - says he can understand why people might not want to live near the structures.

The original article contains 936 words, the summary contains 167 words. Saved 82%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!