Lately I’ve been cooking everything in my cast iron pans. Once you get the hang of them they’re fantastic.

For this pan I sanded the original sandpaper like texture with an orbital sander then applied many coats of seasoning. Sadly, I may have made it too smooth. The seasoning doesn’t stay on as well as another smaller pan that I own. Which means I’ll sand it again with 40 grit in order to help the seasoning stick. Fingers crossed.

• rescue_toaster@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I used to do chicken thighs this way. Delicious but holy fuck it made a mess with the oil. Even with a splatter guard. So now i bake in the oven and make a giant mess in the oven… sigh…

• fujiwood@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Haha, honestly yes. There was oil everywhere! I don’t mind because I like watching them cook while I prepare other things. I like the sizzle.

• Ingiald@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

You were told wrong, especially if you’re referring to an induction stove.

• ourob
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

The only thing I’ve heard you want to be mindful of is to bring the temp up a little slowly rather than just starting out at high temp (especially with induction, which heats up even faster). Too rapid of a temperature change can cause the pan to crack from thermal shock.

• Fermion@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I think in the early days of glass tops they could sometimes scratch or break the glass if they weren’t completely smooth in the bottom. Beyond that, there’s no reason for them not to work.

• fujiwood@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

This is a ceramic stove top. There are coils under the glass top. The things I’ve heard about cast iron on glass is that I can scratch the glass top. I’m very careful when I use them to try and mitigated that from happening.

Use at your own risk.

• amenotef@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I’ve been using them on a ceramic electric stove for 2-3 years already. Even a big Staub Cocotte.

We just need to be delicate enough to not break the ceramic. And avoid the higher temps because electric stoves are quite powerful.

• icanwatermyplants@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

This reminds me of how I start my paella, with a bunch of chicken thighs in a big pan! Good picture too. I have a spatter lid which really helps in the beginning.

• fujiwood@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I’ve actually been wanting to make paella for years but for some reason I never have. Thank you for reminding me to do it. :)