The Crooked Forest (Polish: Krzywy Las) is a grove of oddly-shaped pine trees located in the village of Nowe Czarnowo near the town of Gryfino, West Pomerania, in north-western Poland. It is a protected natural monument of Poland.

This grove of 400 pines was planted in around 1930. Each pine tree bends sharply to the north, just above ground level, then curves back upright after a sideways excursion of one to three meters (3–9 feet). The curved pines are enclosed by a surrounding forest of straight pine trees.

It is generally believed that some form of human tool or technique was used to make the trees grow or bend this way, but the method has never been determined, and remains a mystery to this day. It has been speculated that the trees may have been deformed to create naturally curved timber for use in furniture or boat building. Others surmise that a snowstorm could have bent the trunks, but there is little evidence of that.

Many people have been trying to find an answer to this mystery, but since the town of Gryfino was largely abandoned between the early stages of World War II until the 1970s, the people who were there before the war and probably had the answer to the mystery of the Crooked Forest are now likely gone forever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crooked_Forest

• gornar@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Yeah we’d be lucky to have ones as straight as these! I wind up just going to Rona, even if they’re weird there (Canada)

• linearchaos@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Heh I’ll take things named Rona that didn’t change their name in 2020 for 500 Alex.

I wonder if Home Depot’s issue is one of individual throughput. When you have a skid coming into a jobsite, you end up with the occasional wonky board here and there but no one is picking them out. That pile inside contains the rejects from full skids since who knows how long. Because they sell so much, They have a larger pile of misshapen boards.

• gornar@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I bet you that’s what it is, just the filtered board detritus after contractors get their pick

• Ejh3k@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I imagine they just grafted it at a 45 degree angle when it was a sapling, and turned it into a 90. And wood bending when it’s young and keeping it going