The ongoing dispute was launched when Polish officials, including Foreign spokesman Ministry Łukasz Jasina, said that Poland has requested a formal apology from Ukraine for the [Volhynia] massacres.

• Chup@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

For anyone wondering if it’s now Anti-Russian & Anti-German far-right vs Anti-Ukrainian far-right in Poland, they mention that the party of this article “was never a major party in the country”, yet “often serving as a platform for views further to the extreme right from the ruling Law and Justice, or PiS party.

It’s in the passage right above the picture where they march with the flags and flares.

• MetaPhrastes@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I was wondering how much time would have passed before anything like this happened. The history of that part of Europe is so blood-soaked that one just has to scratch the surface a little bit to find ethnic cleansing crimes. Profiting of it for political propaganda is terrible, though.

• misk@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Oh, it happened immediately. Thankfully anti-russian sentiment prevails in most instances while alt/far-right keeps drumming this up, especially around anniversaries. They became so interested in historical remembrance only after second invasion of Ukraine. Curious, right?

I’m Polish and my family on father’s side is from Volhynia. My grandfather who passed couple of years ago sometimes spoke that both Ukrainians and Poles committed some pretty terrible things in a cycle of revenge and escalation. He wanted to leave it behind though, despite some members of my family bombarding him with increasingly dubious books on those events.