A new video from Russ just dropped today.

In it, he discusses his current favorite handhelds. They don’t have to be made in 2023, but he is focusing more on the newer handhelds.

As usual, this won’t include everything in the video. If you’re interested at all, please watch the video and give Russ a like and subscribe!

Russ splits up the handhelds by price and gives a few recommendations for each.

“Budget” (around $50): RG35xx and Miyoo Mini Plus

Best Under $100: PowKiddy x55

“The Sweet Spot” (around $150, he mentions this is what he recommends you buy unless you have a certain use case):

RP3+, RG405m

If you don’t mind spending a little more: Metal RP3+, Pocket Flip

Best around $200: Odin Lite (his only recommendation in the $200-$400 price range, though he says the Odin Base/Pro are roughly equivalent)

Best over $400: Steam Deck, ROG Ally with honorable mentions of GPD Win4 and AYN Loki Max.

I personally was a little disappointed that we don’t have anything to replace the T618 devices for power and performance even after all this time.

Side Note: I mentioned to Russ a while ago on both YouTube and The Old Place that he might want to post on a federated platform. Nothing yet. He might not even move over. So, I (and others already have) will continue to post his videos here if that is ok.

What do you think about his picks?

• jib_cutter@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I mostly agree with his picks. Granted I don’t have all the devices.

My favorite in $50 range is the original Miyoo Mini. It’s still part of my daily carry, I’ve probably logged close to 1000 hours, having beaten I think around 10-15 games on it alone.

My other daily carry is the RG Nano, but I’m a sucker for tiny devices. I pretty much only use it for games that don’t require any precision.

Agree Retroid Pocket 3+ is the best all around device. Haven’t used mine in over a month, but I logged a ton of hours into Twilight Princess, Kingdom Hearts, and Morrowind.

• VioletteRei@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

His list is very solid. Odin being still relevant still surprise me, honestly I hope AYN will do a Odin 2 with more power

• zebus@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I play the shit out of my rp2+, but wonder if it’s worth upgrading… some of these look pretty interesting