Notably ironic as he was speaking in support of an amendment to ban inclusivity training requirements for military members.

• peanuts4life@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Fuck Republicans, but just for a sanity check, is it normal to say “people of color?” As in, “The judicial system is biased against people of color.” That’s in my verbal lexicon, and I’m suddenly questioning it.

Slurs are so interesting, being on a broad shifting scale based on contextual usage. I think it’s interesting, for example, that “handicapped” has become a slur in my lifetime through it’s general misuse.

• Raeyin@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Yes, “people of color” is considered respectful.

And you’re right, language can change pretty fast. I’ve seen plenty of respectful words become slurs. I’ve even seen slurs be reclaimed by communities. Don’t even get me started on person-first vs identity-first language.

• argv_minus_one@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

“Black people” is not a slur, but “blacks” is. So is “negro people”, even though “negro” literally means “black”.

Bigots ruin everything, including language.

• Malgas@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

think it’s interesting, for example, that “handicapped” has become a slur in my lifetime

Hell, my mom used to work for an organization called ARC. When I was little it stood for “Association for Retarded Citizens”. The organization still exists, but stopped being an acronym in the '90s.

• t3rmit3@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

“But that’s what the ‘CP’ in NAACP means!” <- white people who have never actually known a black person socially.

• aka_oscar@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Why is that a bad argument? If an organization has it in its name, surely its at least understandable someone might call them as such by accident.

• VoxAdActa@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s a fine argument for people who grew up during a time when “colored people” was the less racist way of referring to POC.

Like, maybe this guy’s great-grandfather, seeing as the NAACP was named in 1909.

But, to be a bit more charitable, his grandfather probably used the term (it peaked in usage in the 1960s), and maybe his father, if his father was one of those people who stubbornly resists change. But Rep Crane himself was born a decade after “colored” had gone from the least racist term to a decidedly mid-level racist term (after social shaming began to be applied to the more racist ones).

• aka_oscar@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Ah, I see. I wasnt aware said org had over a 100 years of existence. Some comments here gave me the impression that this term was ok a short time ago but if we’re talking about multiple decades then this sounds like a mayor fuck up.