• Yardy Sardley@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

It’s really unfortunate that we’ve spent the last 30-40 years deleting a lot of the passenger-specific rail infrastructure outside of metro Vancouver and the Toronto-Montreal corridor. At this point it would be a major breakthrough to even bring a serious passenger service into existence. There’s nothing I would like more, but it seems impossible.

• Ulrich_the_Old@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

In the year 2000 I looked into a train trip from Vancouver to Quebec City for two adults and and a child. The cost was $10,000.00. We chose to stay home.

• rbesfe@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

The Canadian is Vancouver to Toronto and a sleeper cabin for 2 is a few grand I think. Idk how you got $10k in 2000 unless you were booking the night before or looking at the prestige cabin

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Vancouver to Toronto and a sleeper cabin for 2

2 and a child, if I read it correctly. Did you mis-read?

is a few grand I think.

$3400 one-way, booked 3 weeks in advance, as long as one parent suffers a public berth little better than a rack. A round-trip ticket can be under $8 thousand with careful planning. https://reservia.viarail.ca/en/booking

Porter air, YVR->YYZ->YVR 5 hours each way and a $1,500 itinerary for 2 adults and a child.

Idk

Consider your audience: they’re over 14.

• rbesfe@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

Jeez I know I was wrong but you need to take the stick outta your ass, buddy. If you can’t handle acronyms like “idk” you need to throw your computer in the garbage and live in the woods or something

• rbesfe@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

I’ve got no clue what’s going on in your mind to make you decide to be such a cunt, but maybe consider not doing so in the future

• FlareHeart@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Good luck making it through the prairies on passenger rail. Do we even have any stations left? I never see passenger trains. Only freight.

• MetricIsRight@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

To my knowledge most passenger trains try and time their crossings in the prairie’s so it happens at night. You might be in an area where they always pass through at odd times.

• dankm@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

There is a station in Saskatoon for sure. I’m sure many other places too.

• corminsterfullerene@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

His journey will probably start by driving past the old rail station in downtown Ottawa (a couple blocks from parliament) out to the boonies.

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yep, from the station at the 19 & 417 south of Vanier. Oh! They put up Tremblay station there, in a rare intermodal connection of the type we rarely see out here. (left Nepean 7 years ago so missed the train system they put up using the same failing tech that got that guy fired from Vancouver)

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

That journey could be complicated by the fact that passenger trains in Canada are often delayed when they have to give right of way to cargo traffic travelling on the same tracks.

And that’s exactly the point: Bachrach’s journey is part of a quest to build support for a bill he introduced in Parliament this week.

“Any passenger service proposal must demonstrate that freight capacity to handle current and future anticipated volumes can be preserved, which is essential to support Canada’s economy,” Brazeau said in an emailed statement to The Canadian Press in October after Via Rail chief executive Mario Péloquin called on the federal government to give passenger trains right of way on the tracks.

Both Bachrach and Péloquin pointed to U.S. regulations that give Amtrak passenger cars priority over freight as a model for the proposed legislation.

He spoke to CBC Daybreak North host Carolina de Ryk about the upcoming journey.

I think the biggest thing right now is that the passenger train has to make way for freight traffic and that has resulted in Via’s inability to keep a consistent schedule.

The original article contains 834 words, the summary contains 177 words. Saved 79%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!