• StephniBefni@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

It’s a shame, my fits headset was a Lenovo explorer, then a Samsung odyssey plus, and now a reverb g2. They are/were all great headsets, the tracking was pretty good, better than metas inside out, and the devices were very competitively priced. I remember for my G2 I had actually reserved a sold out index and had waited for a couple months, then the g2 came out and I changed to that. Sure the individual finger tracking would have been cool, but the reverb had a higher resolution, there is zero screen door, and was about 400 bucks cheaper.

I mean they were never really advertised well, a lot of people didn’t even know they were options, so I understand why they are fading out, just it’s a shame, always a shame to lose an alternative product in any market.

• Benign@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I work with HoloLens, and we just switch SDK to OpenXr. I don’t think the headsets will stop working, they will just run through other systems I think. Not quite sure how the Steam VR integration works.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

better than Facebook’s inside out

Aite I fucking hate Facebook and wouldn’t let anyone bring one of their shit trash tracking devices into my house, but WMR has the worst tracking of any headset

And I love my WMR kits. I’m hoping my ASUS kit will still be usable after this change. But the stupid shitty Facebook kits have WAY better tracking than any WMR kit does. And nobody should buy shit from Facebook.

• StephniBefni@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Well I only have a sample size of about 12 or so people, but none of us have had any issues with the tracking, maybe due to the room lighting though it has been set up in four different rooms st this point,Or maybe I got a good unit, idk, but I still use it and don’t have any issues with it.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I also haven’t had issues with my WMR kits (I’ve had three!) but Facebook’s bullshit garbage DOES historically actually track better and I hate to admit it. I don’t blame it though, it’s insanely more invasive and fucky.

• Kit@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

F. WMR was my first experience in VR on the Lenovo Explorer and it was an incredible experience. The HP Reverb is still listed among one of the best headsets. I really expected Microsoft to push harder on WMR and eventually make it compatible with Xbox, but I guess the market just isn’t there yet.

• midnight@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Yeah I thought it was a great product too. Microsoft gets in early, then gives up when it isn’t immediately successful. They should have kept iterating, and integrated with xbox (psvr was successful). They could be industry leaders in vr if they tried a bit harder, imo.

• LiveLM@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Great, so now the only option for cheap headsets is Facebook hardware.
    Awesome. Thanks for nothing Microsoft 👍