"We’ll have to see how things develop in the next couple of weeks. There’s still time to do things - for exits as well”.

• Gingerrific@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

We would need sales to balance the books a little, and to get rid of deadweight. Only then could I see us taking a serious look signing someone.

I pulled the updated squad up in FM to fool around with formations and the various first team selections and I was shocked at the size of the squad. Completely forgot Cedric even existed 🙃.

• Gingerrific@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

We have spent upwards of 500m in the past few years to revitalize the squad and we have gone from a good team that occasionally drops points to a great team who rarely drops points. Barely anyone had us in the top 4 race last year and yet we were in first place for a majority of the season.

We have improved almost every area of our team, but the reality is we are not PSG, City or Chelsea. We can’t afford to have world class players warming the bench, nor would they want to. From what I have seen Holding, Nketiah, and Elneny may not be the best players, but they have the right character, and character is not something you can teach, nor is it easily changed. I’ll take players with the right character over the divas/mercenary types all day.

• MutualityWSDEs@social.coop
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

@Gingerrific
            Spent lots and largely failed to sell players due to reluctance to let either mediocre or unneeded players leave. In some cases perhaps because they are such ‘good guys’.

An interesting moment now given the size of the squad and how many players will be unneeded.

In terms of reaching 4th place, I can’t see why that would be a genuine shock except for the fact we’d been 8th twice. I imagine our salaries and spending were minimum 4th highest.

• Eabryt@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Hoping we sell enough players to maybe get one more big player in, just not sure who that would be.