GP Rebecca Payne provides healthcare to some of the world’s most remote communities

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

As an out-of-hours island GP, she provides healthcare to some of the most remote communities in the world, all while experiencing “magic moments”, from seeing baby seals and king penguins to the northern lights.

When she works on Barra in the Outer Hebrides, an island chain off the west coast of mainland Scotland, her plane has to land on the beach - “just one of the most incredible experiences of my life”.

On this particular shift she was sitting next to the pilot with a sheep shearer and noisy cat on the way back to being reunited with its owner, but the flight was also used to help a farmer find some missing cows from the air.

“I’ve never been on an island yet where I felt like a bad doctor because generally you have the time and the setup that allows you to deliver great care, and that gets me out of bed in the morning,” said Dr Payne.

“There are many islands where people living there don’t have access to a hospital without getting on a ferry… it’s the amazing general practice they receive that makes the difference.”

Dr Payne will be in the Orkney islands with her family this Christmas and then she her sights on St Helena, a remote volcanic outpost in the South Atlantic Ocean.

The original article contains 1,180 words, the summary contains 220 words. Saved 81%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!