• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Longtime National Rifle Association chief executive Wayne LaPierre, facing a lawsuit in New York that sought to remove him from his post, announced his resignation from the organization Friday.

In the lawsuit, James, who first sued the NRA in 2020, says LaPierre and others funneled millions belonging to the organization to fund inflated salaries and luxury spending, breaking state and federal laws that govern nonprofits and signing off on fraudulent reports.

LaPierre cited health reasons in his resignation, which was accepted by the NRA board of directors at a Friday meeting, according to a news release from the organization.

In that span, lawmakers aligned with the NRA have successfully prevented the passage of most other gun-control legislation at the federal level, even as deadly mass shootings have proliferated.

During LaPierre’s tenure, the U.S. saw the rise of gun-control groups that formed in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Conn., in 2012.

Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action and co-founder of Everytown for Gun Safety, framed LaPierre’s resignation as a victory for gun-control advocates.

The original article contains 455 words, the summary contains 179 words. Saved 61%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!