This is a big deal. Arduino has accepted 32 million in VC money and the new “Pro” boards are not open source,so they won’t be as easily cloned, and code and libraries in the ide could be unavailable to see or modify!

And I won’t be using any of these boards.

• M-Reimer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Arduino was what brought me into microcontroller programming. I used it during my studies and in a lot of private projects.

When seeing their “Pro” boards for the first time my first thought was “This is not the Arduino how it used to be”.

So far I bought original boards from time to time to donate a bit of money that way, but with their recent decisions I’ll probably focus on cheap clones, now. Arduino is no longer alone in this segment. The Raspberry Pi Pico is a nice and cheap open source platform which is a pretty interesting alternative.

• rasterweb@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’ve been doing Arduino things for the past dozen years or so, and I was a huge supporter of the Arduino organization, and I still use the Arduino IDE, but I’ve mostly moved away from their boards in the past five years. I’ve used a lot of Teensy boards over the years (hundreds, actually) and the occasional UNO, Nano, and Micro, but the Raspberry Pi Pico has been my go-to board in the past few years, and I work in education where the micro:bit seems to really be taking off. It’s a shame, because I’d love to see Arduino continue, but not as a closed-source company.

• finn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Corporate greed is eyeing the digital commons of FOSS. The ethos of FOSS is under attack, as the ‘public parks’ of coding are being sold to the highest bidder. A land grab on our shared digital resources, reflecting the worst of unchecked capitalism. We must resist this commodification of communal knowledge and innovation, in defense of a truly democratic digital world.

• azimir@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

This sell out to a proprietary group is nothing new in the FOSS world. There’s plenty of examples like MySQL going to Oracle. Fork the last open version and continue marching.