I started on Elitedesk 800 G1s when Raspberry Pis got hard to find and expensive, and I now feel they are better in every respect if you don’t need the GPIO pins.

Every time I open them up to upgrade something I’m impressed with the level of engineering. There are quality manufacturer manuals for them, the cooling is good and they look great

• thirdBreakfast@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I normally only run one unless I’m doing some dev work, but one G2 plus a 4 bay NAS, a switch, a WAP, and a wireless modem and it sits on 30-55W. This is definitely part of the magic - I assume the i7 6700T is a laptop variant? The other two are i5 6500Ts

• 𝒍𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒏@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Yep! You can run almost anything on them, these are just x86 machines. However there are much smaller ones that aren’t x86 and are actually proprietary ARM-based endpoints, but those are easy to spot usually as they don’t have a lot of IO.

As for these ones though, people often repurpose them as low-power servers or firewall boxes.

There’s an entire video series & articles called “Project TinyMiniMicro” where a server/homelab outlet ServeTheHome compares multiple popular models, looking at things like performance, cooling, upgradeability (some of these have half height PCIe slots inside), fan noise, thermal throttling, and a lot more.

Definitely worth a watch or a read if you’re considering getting one of these, it’s pretty comprehensive.

• originalucifer@moist.catsweat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

ive tossed hundreds, but i thunk ive got a box with a few around here somewhere. when i was using them i seeeemed to remember specifically picking the ones with a native windows rdp client, which would indicate x86. (win7 era)

im just looking to setup little media clients to connect to in-house flatscreens.