The r***it neovim community is fab and taking part in the go-dark outage protest. I think open source communities are better served by open not for profit, decentralized community-apps like this. The corporaate ones always go bad in the end. Reddit and Github both allowed their data to feed the big tech power grab that is LLMs.

• Ninmi@sopuli.xyzM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I’d be more than willing to transfer control over to the r/neovim team if they decide to join.

• allaman@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Would really appreciate this as r/neovim is one of my main subs. But to be honest, I have no big hopes. :(

• domsch@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

While i agree with the general idea of leaving reddit, just in two days Lemmy has had some major issues for me personally. Starting with the fact that accounts can’t be transfered across instances. I’d love to leave lemmy.ml to alleviate their stress and get a faster experience, but i just can’t. Signing up on another instance means none of my posts are asociated to me anymore and i’d have to resubscribe to all Communities. Lemmy.ml has been 404ing a LOT for me to the point where it’s close to unusable on the web. Jebora works, but that’s about it.

I’m also in the “official” Matrix Channel, but chat is so inadequat for the types of content we do here. Plus it’s not archival or searchable.

For now, i’ll be here. But i REALLY hope lemmy get’s some upgrades to make it feel more like a coherent Network and less like i’m investing in little islands that might not be here tomorrow.

In the grander scheme i truly believe Forums are where it’s at. It’s a space controlled by the community, can be Open Source and has all the benefits of archival and threads. I hate that every community is moving to Discord or other things where information just can’t be found anymore. If lemmy is any better in that regard remains to be seen. The name “Lemmy” is one of the worst they could have picked when it comes to searching though. Motörhead is just to big in comparison.

• Japonica@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Riiiight, I didn’t realise you couldn’t move servers (I’m new to the fediverse and have mostly used Mastodon). I suppose you could set up a new user and post using that and leave your other account alive; that way you’re saving load on lemmy.ml and keeping your content available while using the new server for new things. Agree this fragmentation is not good though, and definitely Discord is not a helpful (and a closed) thing.

For me I dislike forums; I find them terribly frustrating in terms of extracting useful information - you have to read through pages of back and forth; people rarely summarise their findings wrt the initial post succinctly.

In terms of investment, I perhaps feel the opposite. I came here from Mastodon because I like the community-first approach rather than the individual-centred approach of mastodon. So I don’t massively care if I have one account for chatting neovim and another for chatting life as a queer person or motorbikes or motorhead(!) - on mastodon I feel bad if I post about one or the other and think that my ‘followers’ won’t be interested.

It’s fascinating to see how social media is changing, and agree the fediverse in general has a long way to go, but I’m enjoying finding out what works!