• hey_frankie@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think the fault lies squarely in the hands of telcos. They’re meant to send you an SMS or call you to confirm any port before it happens. If they’re not following those rules they should be held liable.

On another note I wish banks and other financial institutions would provide other 2FA options in addition to SMS. It’s just crazy that I have better security tech on my Steam account than my bank account.

• Gloomy Bagel 🥯 @aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

but they call and pretend to be you and get the number ported to the SIM they have

check out the Hot Swaps episode of Darknet Diaries

• a1studmuffin 🇦🇺@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

But shouldn’t part of that process involve verifying the customer on the phone is currently in possession of the number? ie. Sending a text with a code and having you read the code back to them. Perhaps they manage this by fooling the victim into giving them that info through some other method.

Edit: thanks for the podcast recommendation btw, subscribed and downloading now!

• T156@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

They usually do the latter, by pretending to have lost their phone, and verifying through some other means, whether that be from the code, or questions.

• a1studmuffin 🇦🇺@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This has baffled me for years - why don’t they allow MFA through Google Authenticator or equivalent? Especially when this has been a known security issue for so long. Aussie banks are really behind the times on this one.

• Sternhammer@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s frightening.

Mr Lowe said there were some precautionary measures people could take, like taking their birthday off Facebook and limiting sharing of their personal mobile phone number.

“Don’t put your physical address on things when you’re buying things online, get a PO box,” Mr Lowe recommended.

"When you’re going to a website and entering your information, stop and think, ‘What happens when this information gets leaked?’

One more thing you can do is, when given the option by a site or service, choose one-time passwords (OTP) for two-factor authentication instead of SMS.

• DirigibleProtein@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Of course it’s avoidable! Phone spoofing has been known to be a vulnerability for years, yet so many companies still insist on using SMS for 2FA “for security”. ffs, if you are concerned about security, use a proper TOTP or HOTP, or a hardware token.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Hear, hear! SMD 2FA is absolutely better than not having any 2FA, but it’s still pretty fucking bad. TOTP, or even better FIDO2, should be used as the default standard.

• surreptitiouswalk@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s funny in a sad way that 2FA was supposed to be real secure but like all other security, the human element is the biggest weak point, and the custodians of it (telcos) are asleep behind the wheel.

• shirro@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

2FA works. It is supposed to be something you know (password) and something you control (like a secure hardware key or app). The problem is people don’t control their phone numbers, the telcos do.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s worth noting that 2FA is still a security improvement. Using SMS for 2FA doesn’t introduce any vulnerabilities compared to no 2FA. It’s just not nearly as good as doing 2FA using a TOTP app or dongle. Or using hardware security tokens like FIDO2.