Exclusive: anonymised notes reveal concerns about injuries, self-harm, security incidents and sickness in overcrowded cells

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Anonymised notes about more than a dozen children in the far north Queensland watch house last week, seen by Guardian Australia, detail concerns about sickness spreading in the overcrowded cells, injuries and serious security incidents.

Some of the children have been held there for so long – up to 20 days and counting – that support workers have raised alarm about a “massive deterioration” in their physical and mental health, and requested they be taken to hospital.

The situation inside the Cairns police watch house in recent weeks has been described as “horrendous”, including by a senior psychologist who sent a “cry for help” letter detailing allegations of young people not being provided adequate food, medical attention or legal support.

The notes also detail an incident that occurred within the watch house that was reported in local media as a prisoner setting fire to a blanket.

The letter, from the Youth Advocacy Centre, said a 13-year-old boy had spent four days in the Cairns watch house with an ear infection without receiving any medical attention or seeing a nurse.

“[The] QPS is committed to ensuring the safety, security and wellbeing of all persons in watch houses across the state,” a police spokesperson said.

The original article contains 624 words, the summary contains 203 words. Saved 67%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!