From the article:

Meanwhile, the blackout has affected Reddit in other important ways. There’s been a small, but growing push among some power users to federated Reddit alternatives like Lemmy and kbin. These decentralized platforms are still niche, and have many of the same challenges as Mastodon and other Twitter alternatives. Yet there seems to be growing interest from some corners of Reddit in recent weeks.

• brandonmarkb@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

So ironic that he talks about getting something for free when literally all the content is also provided to Reddit for free.

• polarimetric@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s especially galling because Reddit themselves have created so little actual additional value beyond that content they get for free from users. Yes, sure, they built and maintain the infrastructure on which the communities run. They should be compensated for that. But beyond just those infrastructure costs, they’ve created a bunch of crap no one asked for or wants. NFTs, awards, automatically enabled chat “features,” “suggested for you” algorithmic posts that get in the way of what you actually asked to see, etc. Do they honestly think they should be compensated for providing that “experience”? It seems like the whole corporate social media playbook right now is relentlessly pushing out things users don’t want and then getting mad when they won’t pay for them.

• NotAnArdvark@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

“These people who are mad, they’re mad because they used to get something for free, and now it’s going to be not free,” he said in an interview with The Verge.

I find this an irritating statement. Before this shit-show, I would have paid ~$5 /month to keep using Reddit the way I was. I got huge value from all the different communities - and their history - that Reddit made possible. But they never made that a real option and instead burnt a lot of bridges.

• kobra@readit.buzz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah spez could have easily cashed in on a lot of money with Apollo and the other 3rd party apps if they worked together. So glad he chose this path though, fuck him.

• Rentlar@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s nice to get a bit of media coverage. I do agree with the article’s assessment of “small but growing” communities, and that it consists of many power users and tech hobbyists, considering that the active user ratio overall is above 10%.