I think I get the idea of Fedora Atomic (Silverblue, Kionite, etc.), but I do not get what uBlue is about.

Are those just another “ooh it’s distro X but with preinstalled Y” or are those some soft of overlays on top of Fedora? Can’t they just be some install scripts? Why not just base Fedora Silverblue? Maybe I don’t get the idea, because people seem hyped.

• @smileyheadOP
    link
    114 days ago

image for every DE/wm

Coming from traditional distro (Arch to be specific) I just install it without DE or uninstall the existing one and install the other. Graphical environments are just programs just like any other.
    So those images are just a convenience thing? Like Fedora has spins that preinstall desktops to have them out-of-the-box?
    How those distro are displayed in (neo)fetch like programs, are they just Fedora or their own thing?

• @biribiri11@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      614 days ago

Graphical environments are just programs just like any other.

They are in Fedora, too. It’s just that installing one DE overtop another can cause config file clashes (ie installing Plasma alongside GNOME means GTK apps will have a minimize button when logged into GNOME)