I bet if the kind of things happening in the US happened in China, I wouldn’t be able to stop hearing about it. I mean, people are still criticizing the Tiananmen Square massacre, and hasn’t anything happened since then? It’s like still making conspiracy theories about Kennedy’s assassination or 9/11, those are old news.

• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

The Chinese internet is consored. And there is a language barrier. So you’re generally not going to read a blog post or independent article 99% of the time someone gets beaten or killed there.

Also it’s not focus or even within our perspective. And something not many people are interested in…

And thirdly, the US media and citizens perspective generally doesn’t extend beyond their borders. When have you heard of police brutality in ANY other countries than the USA? Or whats bothering people in other countries?

• blargerer@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

As a Canadian, I do see reports of police violence in Canada, and I imagine I’m largely seeing the same stuff you are, so you’ve also likely seen some. With that said, police violence per interaction is a pretty low % everywhere (to be clear, it should be 0), but its like 10x higher in the US than other comparable countries, and the US has a huge population. Because of a combination of those factors I wouldn’t be shocked if like 90-95% of police violence happening in English speaking countries is happening in the US.