• buzz86us@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

We need to remove mortgage backed securities as well housing shouldn’t be part of a portfolio… I am really hating how properties in in demand areas is allowed to sit and decay. There are many properties in Manhattan that have done nothing for decades. There also needs to be fewer regulations with regard to what can be done with them. I really wouldn’t mind a decent Japanese style pod hotel if the price was like $10. An old office building would do well for that.

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Mortgage backed securities are a huge part of the mortgage market. Without them it would be more difficult to get a mortgage as there would be less liquidity in the market. The low rates caused a problem though, because investors sought better returns than 1-2% and bought real estate directly.

• zbyte64@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

I find it strange people find Thatcherisms to be witty.

Government isn’t a monolith, nor are the parties that run it.

• zbyte64@awful.systems
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

If we’re using the brain as a metaphor, I would say don’t listen to the voices that are telling you that having a brain is the problem.

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I’m not sure housing is even a commodity currently. Commodities tend to be interchangeable and generally are affordable or low margin. None of those is true with housing currently.