Occasionally find myself envying people with faith and wonder how my life is different than theirs.

• nothacking
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

People with faith definitely have quite a different world view to me but I doubt that leads to a happier life. Christians might find satisfaction in following Jesus and hoping for heaven, but I can do the same by finding a fun hobby. I could never find meaning in what comes down to old myths and legends, so instead of hoping for a good afterlife, I can just do something meaningful now.

I doubt that hoping for a good afterlife is all that happy of a life, in fact I have seen it lead to dissatisfaction on people leaving a religion beleaving that they might have wasted a good chunk of their life. All research I am aware of points to happened being determined by biology and shows that doing something provides much more satisfaction then hoping you’re right.

If someone doubts their faith it can result in a lot of misery because of the sunk-costs fallicy, being terrified that if the religion is wrong they have spent a lot of their life chasing a fairy tale.