• tormeh
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    29 days ago

Played Horizon Forbidden West on PC and it’s such a grind fest. What’s even the point. Not sure why it gets such good reviews, except for how pretty it is. High hopes for God of War Ragnarok, though.

• summerof69@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      29 days ago

It gets good reviews because it’s fun to play. The game is good at its core: you have to scan machines, aim at weak spots, move a lot in the battle to avoid damage, choose right weapons, or you can override a machine and enjoy the show, there are so many options and challenges. Besides, let’s not underestimate the value of good graphics. They make the world nicer, more enjoyable, make you want to come back and play again. I understand that this game is not for everyone though.

• tormeh
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        29 days ago

Yeah, but I get tired of this like halfway through the game. I don’t want to lower the difficulty, I just want fewer enemies and more frequent drops so I don’t have to grind so fucking hard. There should be a percent slider for filler content so players like me could set it to 10% or so. I’m currently short on small machine cores to upgrade armor. Come on! What’s that bullshit? Considering how many watchers I’ve killed I should never ever be short on that.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        29 days ago

I don’t underestimate “good graphics” (usually used to refer to realism) in selling games, but it’s heavily overrated. For example, Elden Ring was not the game with the best graphics technically, but damn does it not look gorgeous. A good art style trumps realism any day. Realism sells more copies, because people are told to compare to realism, but it usually sucks. It has its uses, but it’s mostly a resource hog to make something that looks generic.

• summerof69@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          29 days ago

I wouldn’t say that Horizon aims to be super realistic. I mean, it’s not far away, especially if we compare it to Elden Ring. But in Horizon colors are saturated, the game looks too beautiful and vibrant to be realistic in my books. I would say Hogwarts Legacy is a better example of a too realistic game: colors are bleak, objects and textures are much closer to what we can find in real life, it does look generic as you say (at least IMO).

• tormeh
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            29 days ago

The building models in Hogwarts are amazing, though. Hogwarts and Hogsmeade are both gorgeous. It heavily leans on the work done for the movies, of course, but it’s still amazing looking.