• Kerb
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

i don’t
    i have a 144hz display, and can barely tell the diffrence between that and 60hz

• MrGerrit@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Do make sure you have set it to 144hz in advance display settings if your running windows.

• Kerb
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

yeah, i changed that.

i only discovered that setting after a few months,
        but now it has been on for years.

i can tell the diffrence if i actively look out for ghosting on my mouse coursor.

but unless i actively look out for it,
        i dont notice it

• stevestevesteve@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

One of the big benefits of 144 and 120 over 60hz display is actually how well they render lower frame rate content. Watching a 24fps (so cinematic!) movie on a 144hz ``display results in a new frame every 6 refreshes (or 5 for 120hz). With a 60hz display, you get an new frame every 2.5 refreshes. Generally this results in judder where every other frame is displayed for longer than the others

• stevestevesteve@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Not impossible at all, but there would be similar judder without some compensation. It’s pretty normal for 144hz monitors to support being driven at 60fps, but it’s pretty abnormal for a 60hz monitor to advertise 48 or 24fps via edid. Most modern 60+hz TVs are perfectly capable of doing so, though.

Either way, that’s one reason I’m very happy with the 240hz wave that seems to be going on. You can display 24 and 60 fps content simultaneously with no judder, as well as even higher frame rate content.

That combined with the popularity of VRR and free/g sync makes me even more optimistic for people to see just about everything the way it was meant to be seen