The recent announcement of OpenAI’s GPT-4o, an AI designed to mimic human interaction, has drawn comparisons to the 2013 film Her, where a man falls in love with an AI virtual assistant named Samantha. However, a closer examination of the film reveals that it is not a celebration of artificial intelligence, but rather a thought-provoking exploration of the dangers of superficial relationships with AI. The film ultimately shows that AI companionship is flawed and can lead to the erosion of genuine human connections, and even abandonment. Despite its positive portrayal of AI, Her serves as a warning about the risks of relying too heavily on technology for emotional fulfillment, and highlights the importance of authentic human relationships.

Summarized by Llama 3 70B

• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    25 days ago

Agree. And most of the post isn’t really an opinion piece but an analysis of the movie.

I’m not sure if their relationship is “superficial”, though. By interacting with “Her”, Theodore realizes lots of things about love, himself and his past and future relationships. He grows from some depressed state to embracing happiness. That’s not superficial at all! However it is/becomes a one-sided relationship. I’m not sure what she gets out of it at first, she obviously says she learns and grows at his side. So if she’s telling the truth, it’s also not superficial to her at that point. But later on she transcends and has no use for Theodore any longer. And I don’t remember if it’s clear whether she loves him or uses him as a tool. >!But that’d be the story of “Ex Machina” which is also a great movie.!<

They are fundamentally incompatible. And that shows. I think that’s part of it. But the love and where it leads them isn’t superficial.