In a hilarious takedown, münecat returns after a year with special focus on men who rationalize their sexism with bunk science.

• glimse@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          25 days ago

None? You’re the one who watched the intro to a video essay and decided to leave a comment that you weren’t gonna watch it before forming an opinion

• jaycifer@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            25 days ago

Should a good essay not have an introduction that goes over some of the actual information in the video and establishes the tone/method of delivering that information?

If you’re trying to say that the introduction is not representative of the quality of the rest of the video, you should argue that instead of the rather lame argument that not watching something in it’s entirety prevents any commentary on that thing. It goes hand in hand with someone saying they watched the whole thing and didn’t like it, then asking why they watched the whole thing if they didn’t like it?

There’s a finite amount of time in this life, and every moment spent doing one thing means not doing another. Giving anything stumbled across on the internet 20 minutes of your time to determine if another 3 hours is worthwhile is a decent commitment. When I’ve done that I’ve not made a comment about it because I’d rather let the people who did like the video enjoy it than throw out some negativity, but it’s a completely valid approach to curating one’s time.

• glimse@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              25 days ago

It’s fine to quit 10% of the way in if you’re not into it but it doesn’t mean your opinion of what you watched is informed enough to leave a review. That’s the point I was making with the silly trailer analogy. Why comment if you didn’t watch it?

I watched about an hour and a half of it last night and it’s entertainment, yeah, but she’s just explaining the manosphere in an entertaining way. Thats how long form video essays work, it’s not an academic paper.