• basuramannen
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I also run LineageOS, but some apps installed using Aurora will not work since the phone can not prove to be part of the Google bootnet. I think it’s called SafetyNet. How do I get around that problem?

• code_is_speech@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There is an option in the microg settings to enable SafetyNet. I can’t confirm whether it works, since I don’t have any apps that require it. I’ve heard it’s a bit of a cat and mouse game.

I don’t know much about this, since I haven’t needed it myself. But personally, if safetynet uses Google servers or code for authentication, then I’d rather just leave it turned off. Even if it breaks a few apps.

Not being beholden to Google in any way just feels too damn good.

• basuramannen
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Thank you. I will look into those settings.

The problem is when those apps are required for banking, identification with government websites and money transfer and no free software alternative exists. Somwhow the government dont see it as a problem to force people to be Google or Apple customers. At the moment I am forced to have two phones. One relatively secure and free with LineageOS and one insecure and nonfree used for banking ++ which I only turn on when I need.

• code_is_speech@lemmy.fmhy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah for sure, it’s pretty fucked. Hopefully I can do my banking through a web browser if my bank ever decides to pull some dumb shit like that.

One thing that really fucks me off, are schools requiring students to use proprietary nonfree software. Windows, adobe, MS office, etc

IMO all schools should be using desktop Linux, and teaching students on free and open source software.

It respects student freedom and privacy, and doesn’t unfairly punish the less financially fortunate. On top of that, it teaches students important lessons about sharing and collaboration. Imagine what the FOSS movement might look like if free and open source became the standard in education.