A triple-A game I’ve been eyeing is finally down to a reasonable price on a third party website.

But after seeing how much better Diablo IV performs on my friend’s Xbox, I am really disappointed in myself for buying the PC version to play on my Steam Deck. I play mostly docked and connected to a TV, so the visual experience is something I value.

Diablo IV isn’t the first game I’ve regret purchasing on PC instead of Xbox. For older games, the Steam Deck is great; but it seems like modern games I really need to be wary of. You know what they say, fool me once, strike one, fool me twice… strike… three.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, wishing they’d spent the money on another platform? Is there a rule of thumb you follow on what to purchase, where?

Would it be okay to list the specific games I’m wondering about for input? I love my Steam Deck; but I’d rather not feel platform envy again.

• lotanis
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

The Steam Deck shines as a handheld because you only have middling graphics power but it’s only trying to drive a small screen (small in both size and pixels). If you plug it into a TV then that tradeoff stops working and it’s going to look worse than any console (except the Switch).

I do use my Deck on the TV and it isn’t as bad as I was expecting, but I’ve got a PC as well for demanding games.