• fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

You can believe cows milk comes from cartons if you like but that doesn’t make it so.

Imagine electing a dictator because you believe you should be given a better alternative.

The dems have to lean so far to the right just to gather enough votes to have any chance of winning. You could fix that.

• OBJECTION!@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Imagine electing a dictator because you believe you should be given a better alternative.

Huh, yeah that is a weird thing to imagine. Has nothing to do with me though.

The dems have to lean so far to the right just to gather enough votes to have any chance of winning. You could fix that.

Lol. The dems lean as far right as they can get away with because that’s how they actually want to govern. And they’re able to get away with it because so many people who fancy themselves “progressive” refuse to hold them accountable or demand anything from them at all. You could fix that.

• fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

The dems lean as far right as they can get away with because that’s how they actually want to govern.

That’s not how politics works though? I’m weary of saying the same thing ad-nauseum but basically, if everyone votes on the left then the gop will need to move their policies to the left to have any hope of winning an election, and democrats always need to position themselves to the left of the gop to differentiate themselves. Not surprisingly, if everyone votes on the left then politics will have to move to the left.

It doesn’t matter how you perceive the dems “want to govern”. The gop will push them to the left if everyone votes on the left.

• OBJECTION!@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Yes, I suppose that if everyone on the right spontaneously woke up tomorrow as leftists, then that’s what would happen. I don’t really see how a wild scenario like that is relevant to reality.

• fine_sandy_bottom
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

You don’t need “everyone” to be a leftist, you just need more people to vote on the left than you currently have.

• OBJECTION!@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

In the current political environment, the GOP does not push the Dems left and it would take a major change for that to start happening. It’s not realistic to suggest.