Reminder to switch browsers if you haven’t already!

• Google Chrome is starting to phase out older, more capable ad blocking extensions in favor of the more limited Manifest V3 system.
  • The Manifest V3 system has been criticized by groups like the Electronic Frontier Foundation for restricting the capabilities of web extensions.
  • Google has made concessions to Manifest V3, but limitations on content filtering remain a source of skepticism and concern.
  • cyberic
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    27 days ago

My brother uses it, just remember to look through the ad settings. There was a toggle at one point to allow their approved ads or something like that.

• kusivittula@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      27 days ago

i tried brave recently after finding out it’s open source, and that setting is off by default. ended up keeping firefox, because on android somehow the new tab page in brave is even worse than in ff. too tricky to access bookmarks.

• ruse8145@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        27 days ago

I still to this day don’t know how to get back to the tab I was on in firefox-android if I get to the new tab screen. It’s been 2 or 3 years since the redesign.

• kusivittula@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          26 days ago

you need to close keyboard, hit the tab icon on the address bar and select the tab. easier way is to open some recent website and either close the current one or swipe from the address bar. it’s stupid.

• ruse8145@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 days ago

Iirc there was also some drama about the money they collect not going to the promised destination. Anywhere other than silicon valley this might be called fraud.