• coffinwood
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    25 days ago

I currently have 8 stores installed and 1 (in words: one of them) runs a background task: Windows/XBox services. Come again.

• A_Very_Big_Fan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

You can take them off of the “launch on startup” list to make them not do that, but he said they “want” to, which is true.

• coffinwood
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        25 days ago

Yes, just like Discord and many other apps that are useful but annoying: You take them off autostart once.

I don’t get why people would rather be angry all the time instead of just performing these five clicks once.

• LinyosT@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          25 days ago

It doesn’t stop being an issue just because you can brush it under the rug and ignore it.

The point is that the user shouldn’t have to work around these extra launchers. How about companies just stop pushing their own bloatware. If you buy a game through Steam, it should just require Steam. Same for GOG and all the others.

• coffinwood
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            24 days ago

I don’t claim it’s not an issue and yes I can ignore it perfectly.

Compared to what amount of resources most modern games require, a launcher or store app needs a tiny fraction of that. The issue is overblown IMHO.

• LinyosT@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              24 days ago

The way you downplay it sounds a lot like you’re trying to make it out as if it’s not an issue.

Games taking up resources doesn’t change anything I said either. Funnily enough though the same thing applies to games, users shouldn’t have to put up with games that take up unnecessary resources either. Just like they shouldn’t have to deal with bloatware launchers that take up unnecessary resources and throw more hoops to jump through.

Not really sure why you’re defending something that’s worse for you. What’s in it for you that you’d rather defend unnecessary launchers over not having to deal with them?

• coffinwood
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                24 days ago

Good grief just read and reflect on the first sentence of my previous post.