Instagram has long been accused of stealing features from platforms such as TikTok, Snapchat, and Twitter/X. It appears that the company has looked to YouTube for its latest idea: unskippable ads that you have to watch for a period of time before being able to scroll further.

A Redditor posted images of the Instagram ad breaks. FireCubX writes that users will suddenly find they have hit the bottom of their feed, so to speak, and can’t scroll down any further. An “ad break” icon will appear with a countdown timer that prevents users from browsing through more content until they view an ad, at which point the counter starts running down.

I’m happy I only have a lemmy account

• cmgvd3lw
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 days ago

Wow, glad I moved on. But its a shame that Lemmy or Mastodon content quantity is still a problem.

• Pennomi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      19 days ago

I know people shit on those bots that repost content from Reddit and other places, but it’s a really simple way to bootstrap content on Lemmy. I think if we want to win we need to be open to that.

• cmgvd3lw
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        18 days ago

But in a forum like Lemmy, we need discussions and this is simply not happening with bot posts at the moment.

• Dasnap@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        18 days ago

I’ve considered setting one up for myself for very specific content on my own server, but I’m not sure where I’d start with it. It doesn’t seem as simple as kicking up a docker-compose file.

• DrCake@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

Can only hope that as sites continue further down the enshitification road, more users question it and find the fediverse.

I only learnt about it due to Reddits API changes causing Apollo to stop working.