Instagram has long been accused of stealing features from platforms such as TikTok, Snapchat, and Twitter/X. It appears that the company has looked to YouTube for its latest idea: unskippable ads that you have to watch for a period of time before being able to scroll further.

A Redditor posted images of the Instagram ad breaks. FireCubX writes that users will suddenly find they have hit the bottom of their feed, so to speak, and can’t scroll down any further. An “ad break” icon will appear with a countdown timer that prevents users from browsing through more content until they view an ad, at which point the counter starts running down.

I’m happy I only have a lemmy account

• cmgvd3lw
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    18 days ago

One sad reality with moving on from these sites is that you really become “out of the loop” of what is currently happening with your circle. They all are sharing, posting about what happening and there is simply no way of knowing that. I recently experienced this and was a bit painful.

• yeehaw@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

At some point I realized who my true “circle” was. I think I deleted facebook in 2011 or something. That made me realize I really did not give a shit about what someone I went to school with is doing. Am I ever going to see them again? Probably not. Do I actually care? I guess not. My real circle I still keep in touch with, talk on the phone, visit, message. I don’t need these garbage apps to do this.