• CompassRed
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 days ago

It’s crazy how most of those programs work. The way my insurance handles it is way better. For example, no matter how bad you are at driving, they never raise the premiums above the normal rate, so it almost always makes sense to get the tracker from a finance perspective. (The only exception is that they will raise your rates if you drive farther in 6 months than you estimated on your initial application. The flip side is that they lower your rates if you don’t drive very much. I only drive about 1000 miles every 6 months, so my premium is really low.) They also have a Bluetooth device that stays in your car that your phone must be connected to in order for it to record trip data, and if you happen to be riding as the passenger in the car, the app has an option that allows you to clarify for each trip that you weren’t the driver. I was surprised to learn they aren’t all like that.

• Crashumbc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      13 days ago

It’s a discount right up until something happens and they use that data against you.

Just like HR, insurance companies are not your friend.

• CompassRed
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        13 days ago

Something has already happened and they didn’t touch my rates. I’ve been saving hundreds of dollars a year. I’ve saved well into the thousands of dollars at this point. I’m not saying the insurance companies are my friends and while I am better off using the tracker than not using it, that wasn’t even my point. My point was that the trackers all function differently and some are better than others.