• FryboyterOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

How can you be sure it doesn’t affect popular images? The probability may be lower, but I don’t think you can rule it out.

• Ellie@lemmy.silkky.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

The most popular images on Docker Hub are official / library images, they are curated and monitored by Docker for best practices and security vulnerabilities. I’m not saying that means you should trust them completely, it’s always best practice to read the source of an image before you use it.

• deejay4am@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

This doesn’t mean that YOUR secrets are exposed by using the image, btw - this means that whomever built that image would be accidentally exposing their secrets.

Unless you built the image and added your secrets to it and then uploaded it to a public Docker registry. But again, that’s not a flaw in Docker.

• Sethayy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Sane way you cant be sure your soap isnt poision, sure the manufacturing line could have messed up but like… the shady burger joint down the street is a lot more likely to have slipped up. The probability of anything is not zero, but we ignore a hell of a lot of possibilities

• abraham_linksys@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There is a nonzero probability of getting hit by a meteor at any time. A woman in Alabama was hit by one while she was inside her home, you’re not even safe indoors!

You all might think I’m a fool for wearing a helmet every time I leave my definitely meteor-proof house, but I’m not taking any chances.

• Spaniard@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

You are a fool because no helmet can protect you from a projectile that crossed space, survived entrance in the atmosphere. All that just to hit you

• deejay4am@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Wait so who is the atmosphere and who are the solar winds in this metaphor? I’m having trouble seeing the point through all the pedantry over allegorical choice