I would like to share with you a very cool project that develops drivers for correct operation of Microsoft Surface devices on Linux. I myself use Surface Pro 6 with these drivers and everything works like a charm (battery life is good, cameras work, stylus, keyboard, touchscreen, screen). The developers are gods. From myself, I would recommend using Fedora Linux distribution, as I got the best battery life on it and didn’t experience any additional bugs. If you don’t like GNOME, you can try spins.

Links to project resources:

Awesome additional resources:

• rishabh
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I have an old Surface Book 1. I have windows 11 on it and it works ok. I can’t run anything heavy on it of course but little web browsing and zoom meeting etc. works fine. I really enjoy the awesome camera and face id login. I am worried with Linux install, the camera will not be as good. If someone can confirm their experience on SB1, I can be convinced to install Linux on it.

• FarLine99@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

No FaceID, worse camera quality, worse Battery life. If it is ok, go and try it. If not, it is okey 🙂

• rishabh
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, seems like a deal breaker to me. What do you even gain then? Performance improvements?

• FarLine99@lemm.eeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

We like Linux. Freedom. Privacy. GNOME UI is really well adapted for tablets with it’s gestures and overview effect. Plasma is also very good. Animations are way more smooth and responsive than on Windows.

• FarLine99@lemm.eeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

This comment states that everything good with Book 2 so maybe Book 1 will also have good battery life.

• rishabh
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

Unfortunately I have the surface book 1 but I am happy for people running Linux :)