• KomfortablesKissen
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

I want to say “Haha, Idiot trusting Microsoft”.

But honestly I want the same stuff he wants. Including modems in mobile phones. Including EVERYTHING I own.

• drathvedro@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

There’s an OS you might like. It has no UAC, no file permissions, no sudo nor chmod, as it has no multi-user support, no antivirus and no firewall, no protection rings, not even spectre/meltdown mitigations, and most of all - no guard-rails whatsoever: You can patch the kernel directly at runtime and it won’t even give you a warn. And yet, it is perfectly safe to run. It’s called TempleOS and it achieves such a flawless security by having no networking support whatsoever and barely any support for removable media. If you want a piece a software - you just code it in, manually. You don’t have to check the code for backdoors if it’s entirely written by you… only for CIA at your actual back door…

• KomfortablesKissen
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Huh, didn’t realise Windows is on a level to be compared to TempleOS. And losing. Thanks for that.

• wizzor@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

What does ‘modems in mobile phones’ mean? Isn’t the whole thing a modem strapped onto a screen? What am I missing?

• AProfessional@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I think they just mean they should have control over the modem. They are all locked down and proprietary with known backdoors throughout history, effectively bypassing any OS level security.

• WaterWaiver@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

A lot of phone modems ship with their own SoC (processor) running its own OS. It’s much smaller and slower than the main phone SoC but, depending on its implementation, it can have full access to all of your main processor’s memory through DMA.