• DogMuffins
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Only if “most people” only commute, with nothing more than a back pack.

There are so, so many examples but just this morning… I need to drop my pressure washer off at a friend’s house, later I need to take my pregnant wife to a drs check up.

How can I do these things on a train or bike?

• kugel7c@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Most trips don’t need a car and even if they do there’s rentals. Importantly statistics can show you that ~60 of trips in the US are <6 miles obviously very doable by bike. Also 57% of people live in urban areas where public transit should be very viable. Also at least electric pressure washers certainly can be transported by train and or bike, and getting the wife to the doctor should really not be more than a walk, otherwise you might be the one finding yourself in the minority statistically, living so far from a doctor. So please don’t rely on personal anecdotes to argue what is the case for most people. Coming into a community called fuck cars and arguing like this (in bad faith or just out of ignorance) is the more bizarre behavior imo. The bottom line is we need far fewer cars and less infrastructure for them than we currently have. When we have fewer than 1/50 cars/person your edge cases might be relevant but we have 1/2 or more which is crazy.