The latest show on Tenacious D’s Australian tour has been postponed after senator Ralph Babet demanded the pair be deported following an apparent joke about the assassination attempt on Donald Trump.

American comedy rock duo Jack Black and Kyle Gass were due to perform in Newcastle on Tuesday evening, but the show – part of the band’s Spicy Meatball Tour – was cancelled without notice on Tuesday afternoon.

Concert promoter Frontier Touring said on social media that it regretted “to advise that Tenacious D’s concert tonight at Newcastle Entertainment Centre has been postponed”.

Video from the event showed (Kyle) Gass being presented with a birthday cake and told to “make a wish” as he blew out the candles. Gass then appeared to say “don’t miss Trump next time” – just hours after the shooting at Trump’s rally in Pennsylvania that left the former president injured.

• fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Babet asking for deportation is not the real story - he’s just an idiot making ridiculous statements for attention.

I don’t really buy into the “just a joke” defense. There’s plenty of things one could say “as a joke” that we would and should denounce as a society, and political violence is one of them. Celebrities have a responsibility to uphold social norms or at the very least not to normalise concepts we will not tolerate as a society including political violence.

Yes, you and me can see that what was said was “just a joke” but there’s plenty of people who would hear that joke and assume that wishing Trump would be assassinated is a normal opinion.

[Jack Black][(https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-07-16/tenacious-d-trump-joke-cancel-australia-tour/104105448) has cancelled the rest of the tour, and not because of Babet’s comments, but more likely because he can’t continue with Gass.

• Zaktor@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

There’s plenty of things one could say “as a joke” that we would and should denounce as a society, and political violence is…

Not one of them. Kyle isn’t a militia member calling to arms and no vulnerable people are being harmed by being irreverent about a fascist preaching violence barely missing the consequences. Don’t punch down, but do punch Nazis.

Celebrities have a responsibility to uphold social norms or at the very least not to normalise concepts we will not tolerate as a society including political violence.

What the fuck do you think comedy is about?

• fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Well I think comedy is obviously not about assassinating politicians I don’t like, and apparently jack black agrees with me.

• Mr_Dr_Oink@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Thats just PR damage control. Jack Black is a very wealthy person, he just made a new kung fu panda film, his image with the public is that of an extremely friendly, kind to all humans and fans, sort of person. He doesn’t remotely fit in with a crowd that makes jokes about killing the former president. He is distancing himself from it and its what anyone in his position would do if they care more about money and fame than politics.

It has lowered my op8nion of him though. Hes not the nice guy that he presents. Hes just another rich out of touch celebrity if he follows this path. He should support kyle and defend him. His influence is stronger than kyles and could sway public opinion that kyle was 100% joking.

• fine_sandy_bottom
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

He is distancing himself from it and its what anyone in his position would do if they care more about money and fame than politics.

This is a post hoc fallacy. As in someone who cares more about money would distance themselves from this, but that doesn’t mean that JB cares more about money. IMO, any self respecting celebrity that doesn’t want western politics to descend into violent adversarial combat would also distance themselves from a comment like that.

kyle was 100% joking.

It doesn’t matter. As I’ve said some jokes are completely inappropriate.

• Mr_Dr_Oink@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Totally fair about the first comment. Its fair to say that jack black may have other reasons for trying to distance himself from it. But it was a huge decision to drop the tour and potentially the band based on one bad joke. Its got PR written all over it. But i accept that it might not be money, or at least not just about money.

Second comment is more subjective. There are many who would disagree with you.

Personally i think that if kyle, even if it was only in the moment, thought it was appropriate to make that joke then it should be taken as an indication of how scary it is that trump might become president again. That people laughed should be an indication that people dislike trump enough to not be shocked by the comment. The comments from people defending kyle should show that hatred for trump runs deep and perhaps it should be considered when determining what to do about this.

If people are ok wih a joke about killing trump then maybe people should be looking more seriously at what trump is doing and what he stands for.

• fine_sandy_bottom
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

Sorry mate that’s a pretty thin argument.

Someone might be challenged to reconsider after hearing a joke like that, but many millions will just think that sort of opinion is normal. It’s ok at want political opponents dead.