What do you guys use / recommend to set up your own VPN to access your LAN services remotely?

• Starfighter
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Was running Wireguard and am now in the process of changing over to Tailscale (Headscale).

It uses Wireguard for the actual connections but manages all the wireguard configs for you.

• Starfighter
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Getting the configs to work with my personal devices was already a little finicky but doing that for not-so-technical family members was starting to be a bit too much work for me.

I’m hoping that Headscale will cut that down to pointing their app at the server and having them enter their username and password.

• spencer@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I came here to say exactly this - WireGuard is great and easy to set up, but it gets harder as you add more people, especially less technical ones, as getting them to make keys and move them around etc becomes a headache. Tailscale also minimizes the role of the central server, so if your box goes down the VPN can still function. Tailscale can also do some neat stuff with DNS that’s pretty nifty.

• witten@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

One thing that helped a ton with that for Wireguard (for either you or anyone else reading this) is: You can generate QR codes for a peer’s full Wireguard config! So you can create the images on your computer and then a non-technical user can just scan the code to get configured.